okay so i re-wrote the Law Firm post because it was written really quickly and i didn't like the way it came out.. but thanks to Chrissy for not only reading it but leaving a comment too!
So, Friday was my first and only day of training. I’m replacing the receptionist at my aunt’s law firm for the next two weeks since she’s going on vacation. My aunt thought that since I already am the receptionist/accountant for my uncle’s graphic design company, this would be a good opportunity for me to make more money in the summer. It is, and I do appreciate the offer and thought behind it however, now I’m working at the Law Firm Monday to Friday, at Le Chateau (my regular job) and at the graphic design company Tuesday nights. Just thinking about that gives me a headache!
I was really nervous Friday morning because 1) The Law Firm is downtown (I’m completely direction challenged 2) It’s a LAW FIRM – talk about intimidating! And 3) I really don’t want to disappoint my aunt. I left REALLY early to give myself time to get lost and find my way. LOL! I planned ahead. I had very little trouble getting there though and I was pretty early. My aunt’s co-worker and friend of the family was there though and she super nice!! Honestly, The Blonde Bombshell was incredibly kind and sweet towards me the entire day. It was nice having someone there (besides my aunt of course) just being encouraging and supportive. I so greatly appreciated it!
The receptionist who’s supposed to train me, Vacation Diva, was so not helpful. She walked in at nine exactly (it would have been nice if she came in at least five minutes earlier, but whatever). I actually have met her a couple of times before when I visited my aunt at work. She showed me how to empty the dishwasher and how to make the coffee (some of the very few duties I have). The coffee, by the way, is specially ordered from Van Houtte- we even have their coffee makers! I’m personally not a coffee drinker (except Ice Caps of course!) but I tried it and WOW! I love it! Maybe I’ll pick up smoking and lose those stupid five pounds I’ve been trying to shed! Just kidding.
Vacation Diva made her bread (not toast, just a plain slice of white bread) and nutella sandwich and brought it to the desk, plopped it in front of the pile of files and switched on the music. Honestly, I felt a little uncomfortable because 1) how unprofessional is it to leave such a messy breakfast in plain sight IN FRONT of important legal documents?! and 2) blaring music from the internet? At work? At a LAW FIRM? Sigh.
Vacation Diva somewhat taught me how to use the phone, make an invoice and call courier. Yeah, that’s pretty much all she showed me. Late on while I was with my aunt I found out that there were many things I didn’t know, which naturally made me incredibly nervous for Monday morning, when I’ll be on my own.
Lunch is at one o’clock and I brought a salad and half a can of tuna. I didn’t want to buy, in case there weren’t any good shops, plus I should be saving my money for my trip to NY at the end of august and university (I have got to stop shopping- seriously). Vacation Diva went out with two other girls though and didn’t even invite me. Is that rude or am I being presumptuous? She sorta knows me and she knows that I basically have no one to eat with (my aunt was in court). When one o’clock came rolling bye I casually asked her if she was going out to eat. She said yes and then asked me if I wanted to go but I told her that it was fine, I had brought my own lunch. I don’t want a pity invite! Anyways, I ate lunch alone until one of the lawyers’ secretaries came in and then there was just sort of an awkward silence. I tried (really hard I might add) to make conversation but to no success. The Blonde Bombshell came in though about ten minutes later (God do I love her!) and we chatted for the rest of the break. Honestly, she’s kind of my life savior.
The rest of the day went by pretty okay, I guess. The one thing that I have to give Vacation Diva credit for is that she knows how to answer the phone. I’m really not being sarcastic, it’s incredibly difficult!!! There are about nineteen different lawyers/secretaries; eleven telephone lines and fifty people calling every two minutes. You have to remember the name of the caller, who they want and what line they’re on. Not anywhere near as easy as it sounds.
Apparently Vacation Diva doesn’t work on Fridays. Or after 3 pm. Or without her 80’s music blaring throughout the entire floor. Or at all, if you ask me. So, I feel rather unprepared for Monday, really nervous/stressed and I’m kinda starting to regret taking this on? What if I can’t handle it? Ahhh!
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment