Thursday, July 26, 2007

Platonic Love

I used to be madly, passionately in love with this guy. I mean, head over heals, love at first sight kinda thing. I was in grade 5. LOL. We dated in high school for less than a month (i got over my crush as soon as I got him- how awful) but somehow we've now become super close friends! He's really awesome; funny, super smart (honours, science, scholarship, valedictorian for both high school AND Cegep) and one of the most charismatic guys you'll ever meet. To add onto it, he's one of the kindest, most sincere people you'll ever meet. I'm so lucky to have him in my life!
When we started Cegep, somehow, everyone knew that we dated. It was really strange. We don't flirt (well not really, just goofy stuff) and we don't act like a couple, but you can tell that there's an intimacy between us that's grown over the years. The new friends I made in Cegep would always ask me why I didn't go for him; for some reason, a guy and a girl can't possibly be JUST friends. But we are. I really feel as though we're brothers and sisters.
He went to Europe this summer for about 2 months and I miss him like crazy. He's super brave like that, going away BY HIMSELF to a whole other world. Last summer he came by my house and brought me flowers, just like that. He wanted to be spontaneous <- how cute!. Yes I swear, we're just friends.
So today, while I was showering, he called FROM EUROPE!!! He left me the cutest voicemail ever and I was so bummed that I missed his call! I carried my cell phone on me the whole day afterwards, even though I was working and I'm technically not allowed to. Was I ever glad I did! He called me at around 7 and I was so freaking excited to hear from him! It was really weird though, because after I ran to the back to pick up his call, I had this goofy smile on my face and I kept blabbing about the 8 minute call. Which is ridiculous, because 1- he's just a friend 2- it's one phone call and 3- he's just a friend. I mean, he really truly is. It would be totally weird to look at him in any other way. So whyyyyyyyy on earth did I keep blabbing about it? Why was I being so silly?
Is it possible to be just friends with someone of the opposite sex? I mean, I think it is. But today, well, today I wasn't as sure as I usually am.

No comments: